Description: Want to buy best portable gun safes but not sure which? Read our top 5 gun safe reviews for tips. Do you have a handgun at home and want to make sure nobody else gets accessed to it without your knowledge? A portable gun safe is the best solution. With this, you’ll be assured your firearm is safe from the reach of children, but also easy to access in case you need it.
If you’re in a hurry, check out the comparison table below to learn the different features. If you want to know more details, please refer to the detailed reviews for each one. I have also added extra information about gun safes to make you a more informed buyer.
Things to Consider When Buying a Portable Gun Safe
The first thing you have to consider is the capacity of the gun safe. For this, you’ll need to check its dimensions. You also have to consider the number of pistols you plant to put in the safe and their sizes. Not all handguns have the same size so keep that in mind.
*Type of Lock
There are three popular types:
- Mechanical lock: this is the most common
- Electronic lock: has electronics built in to secure the items inside
- Biometrics: uses your fingerprints to lock the items in the safe
Some gun safes incorporate 2 or all 3 locking mechanisms. Some also run on batteries, especially the electronic type.
Gun safes are made of metal, and the thickness/durability is measured in gauges. The lower the gauge number, the more durable the material is.
Look for a gun safe that is light enough to carry if you plan to take the firearm with you while traveling.
How I Chose the Top Products?
I based my selection on the level of security each safe provides. I also took into account the durability, ease of use and capacity. I have years of experience using gun safes, and I used that to compare each product. I also took into account the brand reputation and feedback.
|Stealth Handgun hanger safe||5 handguns||Electronic lock||9″ H x 9″ W x 12″ D||15 lbs|
|Gunvault Nv200||1 gun||Key lock||9.5 x 6.5 x 1.5 inches||3 lbs|
|Snapsafe Lockbox||3 guns||Key lock||11.5”x 8.5”x 2.5”||5.2 lbs|
|Homak||1-2 guns||Electronic lock||10 x 3.5 x 7.5 Inches||7 lbs|
|Stack-On PDS-1500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock||1-2 guns||Electronic lock||12 x 8.8 x 4.5 inches||12. 8 lbs|
#1. Stealth Handgun hanger safe
This Stealth Handgun Hanger Safe review will start by saying this is a quality gun safe. With a capacity of 5, it is ideal for the gun enthusiast who has or plans to buy several guns.
- There are 3 steel rods that hold your pistols. These have heat shrink tubing coating so the gun barrels do not get scratches.
- The door is 3/8 inches thick and comprised of 2 durable pieces. A speed reducer is integrated so the door does not suddenly slam shut.
- The recessed door, reinforced latch and extra thickness makes prying difficult to do.
- The safe has an electronic lock that allows you to input a 6 digit code. The beeping sound informs you when you’ve pushed a button properly.
- There is a red light built in the safe so even if it is dark, you’ll be able to see and retrieve your guns.
- Don’t want any sound when using your safe? Press the change combination six times and the safe goes into silent mode.
- There is room at the back of the gun safe where you can store 2 small clips or 1 large clip.
- The padding inside the safe provides extra protection for your guns to prevent damage.
- The gun safe construction is solid steel and resistant to prying.
- A security cable is included as well as four bolt down holes.
- The safe steel lock is welded so it cannot be opened with a pick or straw.
- Has a capacity for five pistols
- Meets the CA DOJ gun safe requirements
- Made from durable materials
- The interior light is clear
- The button beep is a bit loud
- Pegs are shallow
#2. Gunvault Nv200
As this Gunvault Nv200 review will demonstrate, the NV200 is built for those who want a compact and secure gun safe. It’s got a no-frills design that does what it should.
- The Nv200 uses a highly secure key lock mechanism to keep your handgun safe.
- The specs meet the requirements of the TSA.
- A security cable with 1500 lb testing capacity is bundled with the safe. Instructions for using it are provided.
- The compact dimensions of the safe mean you’ll be able to take it with you with ease.
- The NV200 is made of solid 18 gauge steel.
- Inside the safe is memory foam padding. It is 1.25 inches thick so your pistol is protected from paint damage. Both top and bottom have this memory foam for extra protection.
- The safe has a 5-year warranty for burglary and fire.
- There is enough space inside the safe to hold a Glock 19 and a magazine. This also means the gun safe has the capacity to hold other types of guns with similar sizes.
- The NV200 is large enough for an S&W 38. There is also room for your keys if you want to put it in the safe.
- It allows you to secure the safe onto your car via the security cable.
- The key lock system is secure, but it is also easy for you to open in case of emergency.
- The gun safe is solidly built. It is not too heavy but not so light either.
- Solid built
- Keeps your gun secure
- Made of heavy duty gauge steel
- Matches TSA gun guidelines
- Interior padding
- Instructions lack some details
- Large pistols are a tight fit
#3. Snapsafe Lockbox
This Snapsafe Lockbox review has to agree with the feedback from other gun owners that this is a solidly made safe. With room for 1 to 3 pistols, the Snapsafe personifies safety and security.
- Depending on the size of your pistols, you can fit 1 to 3 of them in the safe.
- A 1500 lb security cable is included. This allows you to secure the safe to any location.
- The proprietary interior allows for maximum use of available space.
- The safe has 4 foam padding built in. These are thicker than those on other gun safes, providing extra protection for your guns or whatever valuable things you put inside here.
- The Snapsafe was designed to make sure that it meets the specifications of the TSA airline gun guidelines. The safe also conforms to regulations set by the California Justice Department.
- While built primarily as a gun safe, you can use the Snapsafe s a repository for any valuables that you want to safeguard.
- The housing is made of 16 gauge steel so it is not going to break easily during a burglary attempt.
- There is sufficient space in the safe so you’ll be able to put a mobile phone in it.
- The foam padding is removable.
- This gun safe is large enough for a Smith and Wesson… .500 and a box of ammo. Even then there is room for a few other items.
- The safe is built to withstand repeated burglary attempts.
- Solid steel housing
- Security cable included
- Can be used to store guns or valuables
- Meets the CA DOJ requirements
- Keys have a rough edge
- No metal loop for locking in place for travel
#4. Homak Electronic Access Pistol Box
If you read Homak review. chances are it says something positive. And that is to be expected since this is one of the better portable gun safes available, with a nice set of features.
- There is enough interior room for 1 to 3 small pistols. Or you can put 1 or 2 pistols in it and put in other items instead.
- You can program the electronic keypad with ease.
- There is a lockout feature that kicks in after 3 failed combination attempts. This lockout feature is one of the best deterrents against snoops.
- You can mount the safe on your car, desk, bedside table, anywhere you want.
- You can put one Homak on top of another to conserve space.
- There is a 9-volt battery entry backup included.
- The hinged door is durably built and opens quietly. This makes the unit ideal for use in the event of a break in.
- The user guide offers step by step guide for programming code. Even if you have never done this before, the process is easy to follow.
- Its powder coated finish reinforces the gun safe’s built. So even if you take this on the road, a few bumps won’t damage it.
- The solid steel built ensures the safe can handle the wear and tear of everyday use.
- The safe is secure, but you won’t have any problems opening it in case you need the gun now.
- Easy to mount
- Theft and pry resistant
- Available in 3 sizes
- Powder coated finish
- Excellent safety features
- Three variations of size are available. you can buy 3.5″ / 5.5″ / 5.5″
- Batteries not included
- A bit tight for an XD-9 with TLR 3 lighting
- Bigger sizes cost more money
#5. Stack-On PDS-1500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock
This Stack-On PDS-1500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock review can say a lot of good things about this. But the bottom line is the PDS-1500 is an excellent gun safe that should satisfy the needs of a lot of gun owners. This a short overview of the safe. As it is one of the best portable gun safe, we reviewed this individually. Check this out here or from down below, not that big a deal.
- There are 2 live action bolts built in for enhanced security.
- The hinges are hidden so it is harder for anyone to try and pry the lid door loose.
- There are holes pre-drilled in the safe so you can mount this to a wall, shelf or floor. All the hardware needed for mounting are included.
- There is a safety feature built in. If there are 3 failed combination attempts, the timeout feature kicks in.
- The electronic lock is built for enhanced security. The manual also explains in detail how to program your own code for security.
- The needed batteries are bundled with the safe. It also does a good job of conserving battery life so you won’t be needing to replace it anytime soon.
- The versatile design of the gun safe allows you to put other valuables inside it.
- The gun safe conforms to the rules set by CA DOJ for gun safety.
- The housing is built of heavy-duty steel and is pry resistant.
- The safe has a mute feature. If you don’t want it to emit any sound, just turn this feature on.
- The programming button has a cover so once you set your preferences, it cannot be changed.
- Fits easily in a drawer
- Heavy duty housing
- Holes pre-drilled for mounting
- Easy to program
- Secure locking mechanism
- The instructions could have been clearer
- Not enough room for large handguns
I am hoping the information and reviews were able to help you make the right choices for your firearm. A lot of gun safes are being sold today, but few are able to live up to the needs of gun enthusiasts. All the 5 gun safes above were picked specifically because they meet the needs of different users. These are the best portable gun safes you can buy in 2018. And if you are not looking for portability but looking for overall an all in one combo, you can check the top 10 list of gun safe review.
Now you may be wondering which of these is the right one. Well, they’re all exceptional which is why they made the top 5. by listing the features, pros, and cons, you will know which one corresponds to your own requirements.